16.5.13

Sunny Day Essentials: Cosmetics Edit


A couple days ago, I shared some of my sunny day essentials with you guys.  Today I'm sharing some of the products that I tend to gravitate to in the summer.  In the summer, I try to keep it pretty natural (it always surprises me how many products it takes to get the "natural" look) but it's important that a product can stand up to heat and water.


Lips

For the lips, my favourites are mostly cult favourites from the past little while so I'm sure most of you are pretty familiar with them.  For hot days, I like products that are moisturizing and easy to apply (read: low maintenance).  Revlon Lip Butters (pictured here in 053 Sorbet & 047 Pink Lemonade),  and Maybelline Colour Whispers ( 50 Cherry on Top 35 Coral Ambition) are really moisturizing but also have great colour payoff.  The shade range is quite impressive, meaning they have great "everyday colours" as well as tones to take your look from day to night.  For something a bit longer-lasting, I think I've raved more than enough about Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains (pictured in 020 Lovesick 040 Rendezvous).  Finally, Maybelline Baby Lips (070 Coral Crush) are a great range of balms that are tinted just enough to give your natural look a little something extra
Pinks and corals continue to be my favourite shades for summer so be sure to check out my pink lips and coral lips posts.  You can also check out some of my favourite lipstick alternatives here if you want to avoid that "lipstick feel" on hot summer days.


Face

During the summer, I try to keep my look to a bit of concealer (Rimmel Wake Me Up in Very Fair) and some bronzer (Benefit Hoola) but for the days where I need a bit more coverage, I try to opt for a BB cream or foundation with a more natural finish (SPF is a bonus).  So far I'm liking Revlon Photoready BB Cream but I've also been mixing a bit of Revlon's Nearly Naked Foundation or Rimmel Wake Me Up in with my moisturizer to sheer it out (you can see reviews on both of those foundations here).  To keep it all from sliding around on my skin, a mattifying primer like Sephora Anti-Shine and a setting spray like Urban Decay De-Slick work wonders.  Of course, when it comes to oil control, blotting sheets are perfect to keep in your makeup bag.  I've been experimenting with a lot of different types but right now I'm using Boscia Green Tea Blotting Linens.  Finally, I'm not very much of a blush person in the summer as I'm quite often a bit too "rosy" from the sun as it is.  However, if I do decide to use a blush, I much prefer cream blushes as they blend beautifully and it's a bit more tricky to overdo.  Benefit Fine One One is a great option.


Eyes

Keeping with my minimal makeup theme, I also tend to get a bit lazier in the summer.  Especially if you're hanging out by the water, you don't want to spend a load of time creating the perfect smokey eye and winged liner just to have it run off once you go for a swim.  A quick swipe of a cream shadow and a coat of waterproof mascara are enough to look "done" without taking up too much precious time enjoying the weather (especially in Canada where no one is quite certain how long nice weather will last).  I'm pretty sure most of you are familiar with Maybelline Colour Tattoos (my favourites are Bad to the Bronze and Barely Branded) but Benefit and MAC both make great cream shadows as well. Plus they double as an eyeliner!  I've been ranting and raving quite a bit lately about L'Oreal Telescopic Shocking Extensions lately so it probably won't be much of a surprise that I am also loving their waterproof option.  However, most of the waterproof option's from Maybelline's Colossal Volume range are great too.

I hope this post has helped you guys find a few new summer favourites!
If you guys have a favourite product for the summer, I'd love to hear about it in the comments
Kendall
x

No comments:

Post a Comment