27.3.13

Drugstore BB Creams


BB Creams have been on the market in North America for a quite a while now, but I'd never really been too keen. I tried one when they first became big and it really didn't impress me.  But now that summer is coming and I'm looking for easy, one-step products with lighter coverage, I thought I'd give them another shot.
This post is just going to cover a few of the drugstore brands although I'm dying to try out Dior and Clarins' offerings (if anyone has, I'd love to hear about it).
I originally was going to do a comparison between Revlon and Maybelline but I recently got a sample of Garnier's BB Cream as well so I'll talk about all three.

Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm



The first one I tried was by Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm and to be honest, I don't love it.  I believe it was only available in three shades (of which I bought the lightest) so it's unsurprising that it is much too dark, even in the summer.  It now comes in five shades so the colour range is probably a bit more suitable. I also found that throughout the day it oxidized, making it even more orange. As for finish, I found it quite oily and the coverage wasn't really great either.  I do like that it has SPF 30 but other than that, I don't think it's anything to write home about.


Revlon Photoready BB Cream

On to Revlon Photoready BB Cream which I showed you all in my last Haul. I bought it in the shade 010 Light and the colour match is great.  I find most Revlon products are able to match my skin very well (something for my pale friends to remember).  The coverage is pretty sheer but buildable: it actually does something to your skin.  I find most days a layer of this plus a bit of powder on my t-zone is great coverage.  It also has SPF 30 and a thicker formula than Maybelline's, meaning a little goes a long way.  It also lasts well.  I have a lot of love for this product.

Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector for Combination/Oily Skin

Finally, we have Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector for Combination/Oily Skin in Light. I was hesitant to buy this one because I read a lot of reviews saying the original formula was quite oily.  Although my skin is dry/combination, I have a weird paranoia of looking shiny so I try to stay away from products with a lot of oil.  When I got a sample of their oil-free formula, I was excited to give it a try.  First of all, it goes on beautifully. It has a matte, velvety finish that almost feels like you aren't wearing any makeup at all.  I also dries quickly and I definitely wouldn't think you'd need a powder to set it.  All-in-all, I think it's a lovely product but unfortunately (and unsurprisingly) it is a bit too dark.  I believe they just released a lighter shade in the original formula so hopefully they will for the oil-free as well.  I will probably purchase a full-sized version of this in the summer because if it weren't for the colour-match issue, it would probably be my favourite.  The coverage is perfect and it makes your skin look flawless but still natural.  Sigh


Top: Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm
Bottom: Revlon Photoready BB Cream
From the tubes


 Top: Maybelline Dream Fresh BB 8-in-1 Beauty Balm
Bottom: Revlon Photoready BB Cream
Slightly blended to show consistency 


 Garnier Miracle Skin Perfector for Combination/Oily Skin


I hope this review has been helpful! I have yet to try L'Oreal, Covergirl or Rimmel's BB Cream so I'll be on the lookout for that. They're making them faster than I can buy them! If there are any other products you'd like me to review, or if you've tried any of these ones, I'd love to hear what you think!
Kendall
x

2 comments:

  1. I like Revlon the best because it gives near-foundation coverage, hides flaws well and stays quite well when set with powder :)
    My Beauty Junction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete