29.3.13

Trend to Try: Coral Lips

Coral lips are without a doubt my favourite trend for spring.  It's not often that a trend is so universally flattering but thanks to the wide range of products available, from pink to red to orange tones, there's a shade of coral that suits just about everyone.
This post is just going to cover drugstore options so if you're a little afraid of rockin' the coral look, you've got some cheaper options to try.  I'm currently coveting a few higher end brands (cough YSL cough) but those will have to wait.


 Back L-R : Maybelline Baby Lips in Coral Crush, Revlon Lipstick in Siren, Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Fruiti, Maybelline The Vivids Lipstick in Shocking Coral, Revlon Balm Stain in Rendezvous, 
Front L-R: Revlon Just Bitten Lipstain in Flame, L'Oreal Aqua Lip Lacquer in Coral Tattoo


Swatches in the order listed above (top to bottom)

I've been told that there are three colours that look good on everyone: aqua, ivory, and coral.  Trying a coral lip can be a bit intimidating at first, especially if you decide to go heavily towards the pink toned (Eg Maybelline Shocking Coral) or the orange (Revlon Lipstick in Siren) but they are actually surprisingly flattering- and did I  mention one of the biggest trends for spring?

I've talked about all of these lip products in previous posts, particularly my Lipstick Alternatives Post and  Makeup on the Cheap so if you'd like to hear about the specific products, I'd recommend checking those out.  I did mention quite a few lipstick alternatives because I find that when you're trying a bolder trend, sometimes it's nice to have the flexibility of a gloss or a more sheer lipstick.

 Revlon Lipstick in Siren


L'Oreal Aqua Lip Lacquer in Coral Tattoo



Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Fruiti

Once again, sorry for the picture quality but you can probably see that on the lip, these products all look much more natural than you might think.  If you want to see a picture of me trying out Maybelline's Shocking Coral, check out my last Monday's Face.

A Few Tips:
If you are very pale or have ashy skin, you might find neon corals a bit more difficult to work with (especially towards the very pink or very orange tones).  A more subtle way to work this trend is by taking the colour on your finger or a brush and working it into your lips, rather than using the tube.  You'll get more of a "flush of colour".

I've been doing a bit of research (aka flipping through magazines and other beauty blogs) and it looks like MAC Morange is going to be one of the biggest colours this summer.  I am biding my time until I can get it through Back to MAC but once I do, I'll let you know! I've also heard that Revlon's Siren is a dupe for Morange so I'll try to do a comparison in the future.

I think this is a really fun and flattering trend for spring and I hope you give it a try! I honestly never thought I would be an orange/coral lips fan but I've been sporting them every day this week.
If you do try this look, let me know how you like it, or let me know what your favourite orange/coral lip products are in the comments!
Kendall
x

2 comments:

  1. Love all these shades, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I checked out your blog, it's really lovely!

      Delete