13.4.13

More Coral Looks to Try: The Mac Edit


As I was looking through my lipsticks, it hit me that after all of my recent ramblings about my deep love of pink and coral lipstick, I'd managed to leave out what is possibly my favourite lipstick for spring and summer: MAC's Costa Chic (left).  Also, while I was off spending money I don't really have yesterday (you can read my post about what else I picked up here) I finally decided to go for MAC's Morange (right).  

Top: Morange
Bottom: Costa Chic


Costa Chic is a creamy pink coral.  It's a frost finish which I am usually not a fan of at all but for some reason it works.  I think because the colour is quite warm, the frost doesn't make it look too outdated.  It really is a classic colour for spring and summer that I think would look great on a range of skin tones.

I actually picked this one up over a year ago on a whim, and didn't think too much about it. I tossed it in my makeup bag for a trip I was taking and put it on rather lazily one day.  It wasn't until I was looking at the trip photos and going "what have I got on my lips, it's beautiful!" that I realized how gorgeous the colour really is.  It probably sounds a bit odd that it took me such a long time to warm up to it but now I think it's stunning.


In the tube, Morange is rather intimidating.  I had heard a bit about it but this was during a bit of a break I took from buying makeup (okay, I bought a few drugstore products, I couldn't help myself) so I hadn't actually seen it in person.  The other day when I finally got to MAC, I was able to pick it out immediately.  It's an amplified finish, meaning it's pigmentation is pretty insane.  While Costa Chic is very much on the pink side of the coral tones, I would describe Morange as almost completely orange, with a hint of coral.  I did find that because it's quite a bold, pigmented colour, you do need to work with it a bit more to get the look you want.  In the picture, I applied it over a good deal of lip balm because most bright colours like this do emphasize dry patches and mixing it with lip balm lessens the pigmentation slightly, giving you a more glossy look and making it easier to work with.

I did mention that I would pick up Morange in my Coral Lips Post and compare it to Revlon's Siren so here are the swatches.

Top: Revlon Siren
Bottom: MAC Morange

As you can probably see, the colours are very similar.  Siren is slightly more peachy and sheer and Morange is more opaque. However, you can build up Siren to get a bit more opacity.  Do you need both? Probably not.  Unless you really want a super-bold orange lip in which case I do think Morange has a bit more to offer.

What do you think of MAC's coral lipsticks? Do you have any others to recommend?
If you want to see more coral lip looks, don't forget to check out my Coral Lips Post which focuses on drugstore options.
I hope you're all having a great weekend!
Kendall
x

No comments:

Post a Comment