25.4.13

Second-Chance Winners


As an acknowledged makeup hoarder, there are often times where I'll pick up a product and I'm not immediately wowed by it.  Most times, I'll work with it a little bit more before deciding if it's rubbish but occasionally I just decide it's not worth it and toss the product into the depths of my makeup storage.  
As I mentioned in my previous post, I'm currently in the middle of a makeup-spending ban, meaning I've been exploring the deep recesses of my collection in search of products I haven't used very much.  During this process, I've actually found a few new favourites that I had written off long ago.

Sleek Au Naturel (601) Palette
I ordered a few Sleek palettes about 6 months ago and was really impressed with the quality of the eyeshadows.  I really latched on to the Storm and Bad Girl palettes, both of which have a lot of grey/brown/blue shades that really demonstrate the great pigmentation.  For some reason, I looked at the Au Naturel palette and never bothered to work with it very much (with the exception of the shade that is a dupe for Mac's Woodwinked- mentioned in this post).  However, with my love of neutral eyeshadow in full bloom, I had to give my head a shake after actually trying a few more of these shades on.  They are very complementary despite not looking too exciting in the pan.

MAC Fix+
Last year, I went into Mac in search of Charged Water.  Unfortunately, I was about to go on a trip and wanted something portable, so I was directed to the travel-sized Fix+.  I'm not entirely sure why I bought it as I tend to favour my Urban Decay setting sprays.  After watching a tutorial by Gracie (The Ugly Face of Beauty) where she sprayed it on her brush before using a powder foundation, I decided to give it a try.  Wow, it really does wonders for making powder foundation last longer and look more natural.

MAC MSF Stereo Rose
I mentioned this is my March Favourites and MAC Haul so you can check those posts out if you want to learn more.  Long story short, I initially disliked the pigmentation and now I am in love with it.  It is the perfect blush for coral lips (you can read about good options for coral lips here and here).

Physicians Formula Happy Booster Glow & Mood Boosting Powder (Translucent) 
To be honest, I bought this mistakenly thinking it was a blush.  It's actually a slightly shimmery, super light powder that does a great job of setting foundation while adding a bit of luminosity.

Sephora Smoky Cream Liner Waterproof (Must Have)
Boy, writing this post is making me realize how often I buy things on a whim.  I honestly don't even remember buying this product but it's a really nice gel liner that doesn't smudge or bleed.  The pigmentation is quite good- not amazing but it doesn't go that grey tone that some gel liners tend towards.  It also goes on very smoothly and is quite easy to work with.

Revlon Photoready Cream Blush in Pinched
To be fair, I actually used to dislike most cream blushes.  I found them difficult to work with as anything that requires a lot of blending tends to make my face quite red and flushed (not the most attractive look).  Once I clued in and started using a stippling brush, I discovered how much cream blushes have to offer.  They tend to look very natural and are actually pretty easy to work with.  I love Pinched because it stays faaaar away from the dreaded red tones and reminds me a bit of Benefit's Dandelion- a nice light pink flush.


I hope you've enjoyed my little story time about my misguided makeup purchases, maybe it will inspire you to dig out a few of those products that you were a bit iffy on!
Kendall
x

No comments:

Post a Comment